Whoop Whoop!!! Today is my 38th birthday!!! Yes Yes Yes on this day 38 years ago, the world received a blessing in the form of a beautiful baby girl that would one day be the QUEEN of EVERY DAMN THING!!! LOL!!!
You know, I can remember a time when I feared being this close to 40. I felt like I would be classed as this old as lady who was restricted in regards to living and loving life. My thought was that this was the age that things begin to slow down, boy was I wrong.
The older I get, it seem as though my ability to see things more clearly develops. No longer am I that young girl who views life in an immature manner. I have experienced enough of life to appreciate the bitter and the sweet. Most of all I learned to love myself and embrace exactly who I was instead of who I pretended to be for others.
Naturally, many of the women that I am connected with are in the same age group as I am. I have noticed that many of us have the same attitude about life despite being from diverse backgrounds. We have reached an age where we are fearless and we embrace all that we are. We are generations of women who defy society standards and live on our own terms.
Society is filled with women, who would have be classed as old, thriving and doing great things. Look at Tina Knowles- Lawson, who just graced the cover of Ebony, looking just as hot and flawless as her daughter Beyoncé. Other examples of women living on their own terms and being great are women like: Janet Jackson who at age 49 is preparing for a tour, Carmen Dell’Orefice who is 83 years old and modeling like she is 21 years old and Tarji P. Henson who at the age of 44 is starring on the record breaking show Empire.
The truth is, there is a lot that you can learn from a mature woman, and here are a few. I hope you young thunder cats are taking notes.
- Whether we shout it from the rooftop or keep it to ourselves, we are not ashamed of our age. We may chose not to share it for one simple reason; it is none of your damn business.
- Once a woman reaches a certain age, the phrase, “it is what it is” becomes a motto. We are equipped with a “fuck it” button and we are not afraid to use it. No matter the situation, we know that stressing is not a solution, it is a bigger problem. We refuses to waste time and energy on people or things that don’t deserve it, our time is too precious for that.
- We own our shit! We do not hide from her reality, flaws or f&*k ups, they are ours. We find our truth liberating, while you youngins allow it to hold you captive. We accept being imperfect and know even in error, there are lessons to be learned. And when all of that is said and done, know that we will refer back to that “fuck It” button (mentioned in #2).
- Bold; that is one word that definitely describes most mature women. We are not afraid to go there and do that; despite what others may think or feel. We can care less about society’s standards, we write our own rules. In beauty, fashion, relationship and any other area of life; we do whatever the hell we want…. And Who Gonna Check Us?
- The more women mature, the less confused they are about anything. A woman of a certain age knows exactly what she wants and is not afraid to go after it. In the words of my mother, We are, “too old of a cat to be a kitten.” We enter situations knowing exactly what we want and how to make it happen. Second and third guessing is for young thunder cats still trying to find their way and their voice.