Society+For years, one of the biggest woes in the plus size community was the lack of fashion options. There were plus size brands but they had not yet grasped the fact that we were not fat and frumpy. Over time that has changed and now there are far more options for plus size women to choose from. However, now that there are more options, there are many plus size women who are hesitant to have fun with fashion.
On a daily basis, I hear from so many women that they wish they knew how to be more fashionable. I tell them all the time,
“you are not lacking the ability to be fashionable, you just need to find your style and execute it!”
Any person who buys clothing is fashionable, what makes you stand out is your style.
Many plus size women are fearful to give their clothes personality which translates into style. A lot of times plus size women are fail to exhibit their style because they don’t know how to dress their curves. You can be stylish and have an array of ideas as far as how you want to execute a look but until you know your body, you will find yourself lost.
Honestly, it took me years to really get to know my body. Although I had style many times it translated blah instead of BAM! Because I was ignorant to what worked for my apple (oval) shaped petite body. Due to that absence of knowledge, I played it safe.
Now that I know and love my body, I am able to confidently exhibit my style in the manner that I desire and boy do I! Mixing prints and patterns, playing with all sorts of color and creating silhouettes (despite my shape); yeah, I am guilty of all that. I know that “they (society)” say that fat girls shouldn’t go there but I do and you should too!
Tips For Apple (oval) Shaped Women
- Avoid clothes that are too tight across your midsection.
- Don’t want to wear anything oversized in an attempt to cover up your tummy.
- Work with your curves instead of hiding them.
- Oval shapes look great in simple A-line dresses
- Empire waists look great on ovals, especially if you have a large breast (like me).
- Wearing an open neckline will draw the eye up and away from your midsection.
- Show off those legs with shorter skirt or dress lengths.
- Jackets are super flattering on a woman with an oval shaped body, due to our round shoulders.
Like this look?
Jacket (vintage) from DivaXpress but similar at Target.
Get the dress from Society+
Shoe from Macy’s (sold Out) but similar at Forever21
There are two kinds of plus size women in the world; those who play by the books and those who breaks the rules. I would have to say, that I am a rule breaker, which one are you?
Chime in ladies, I would love to know how you style your body type.