How I Broke A Few Rules And Looked Fabulous While Wearing Eloquii

By now, I think that you know me well enough to know that I don’t follow rules. My belief is that rules are meant to be broken. Now before I get trolled, let me be clear that I am not talking illegal activity. I am talking about society and the idea that we must live according to the standards of some closed-minded random that we don’t know from Adam (that is a country saying, I don’t know Adam either).Maui of PHAT Girl Fresh

When I wake up in the morning, right after I recite my affirmations, I start thinking of ways to be better than I was the day before and how I can live outside of the box. What box? That tiny pitch black area where society allows fat girls to exist freely. You know the place for fat girls that is located inside of a slightly larger box for women. Yeah… That place!

If I started counting all of the rules that society have in place for women, especially fat women; I would need at least a thousand (or more) of you to lend me your hands. Although I could care less about any of society’s rules or beauty standards, I keep track just so I can challenge them. Today, I am challenging two fashion rules that society urges plus size women not to break: showing our arms and wearing stripes.Maui of PHAT Girl Fresh

Showing Your Arms

Society say:

Our arms are too big to be seen publicly and that every shirt should have sleeves. Why on earth would we want to flaunt such a flaw?  So what if it is 150 degrees outside, don’t you dare show those arms!

I believe:

There isn’t one thing wrong with showing your arms! Ladies, you have to stop absorbing all of society’s negative beliefs about you. You are fabulous no matter how big your arms are and you should love and celebrate every inch of you. Oh and remember, It’s your prerogative (in my Bobby Brown voice) to do what you want.Maui of PHAT Girl Fresh

Wearing Stripes

Society say:

If you are plus size, you should shy away from stripes because they distort your already flawed figure. They make you look even larger than you are and Lord know you don’t want that.

I believe:

Stripes can be slayed by any body type! There is no fashion bible that forbids you to wear stripes after you reach a certain size. My size ranges from a 24 to 28 and I look fabulous in stripes and you can too. Remember that slaying the scene is about style and not fashion, find a way to make the stripes yours.

In the event that you need a little inspiration, I have created a look just for the occasion.

My Style Journal

Maui of PHAT Girl Fresh

Asymmetrical Bustier Top: Eloquii

Button Front Maxi Skirt: Eloquii

Black Strapped Wedge (similar): Sears

I live in South Georgia and while most of you are gearing up to celebrate the end of summer, I know that I have plenty of hot days remaining. Please believe I will be killin’ em with the shoulders until it is time to bundle up for Winter.

So what do you think ladies? What fashion rules are you down to break? Chime in ladies!

36 Comments

1. August 22, 2016 / 3:56 pm

I love every partnof everything you wrote. These are daily struggles i have that i have been slowly but surely embracing because im going to be me no matter what. & i hooe to one day inspire just as you do (:

• August 22, 2016 / 4:42 pm

Thank you for reading and commenting! It is so important to learn to appreciate you on your terms and no one else’s. You are already an inspiration!

2. August 22, 2016 / 4:35 pm

I love this! You are absolutely rocking the stripes and your confidence is radiating in your photos. Also the purple lipstick is on POINT. Keep up the great work on your blog!

• August 22, 2016 / 4:43 pm

Thanks Marissa, I really appreciate that!

3. August 22, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Hey i realy like this post ! i surely do… WAUW

4. August 22, 2016 / 11:32 pm

You know what? You look TERRIFIC! I love the hair, the accessories and btw, stripes elongate the body so tell that to the size 0 fashion federales. Very refreshing point of view. This summer is killing me and I’m sorry but people are going to be seeing my arms. They’re just going to have to deal with it! Keep blogging and I’ll keep reading! 🙂

• August 25, 2016 / 2:13 pm

Thank you so much Susan! that is right, show those arms!!

5. August 23, 2016 / 4:06 am

Wow. Your confidence level is extreme. I wish I could have too.

• August 25, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Thanks Mary! You can be just as confident, just believe in your potential to be great!

6. August 23, 2016 / 8:00 am

VERTICAL stripes! Why have horizontal stripes been in style for so long? You’re fabulous and I want that skirt. Not only do I think vertical stripes are more attractive on me weight-wise, I’m very short. Vertical stripes draw the eye to the whole of me, not just to my breasts which dominate, as many larger women’s do. So happy that Discover brought me to your blog.

• August 25, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Thanks for your support Barb! I have worn both vertical and horizontal and i am very short; 5’3 if im being honest. I am so happy that you found my blog too, I look forward to more interactions.

7. August 23, 2016 / 10:03 am

Thanks for the encouragement – and you look fabulous! Debra

• August 25, 2016 / 1:38 pm

Thanks for the support Debra!

8. Melissa Tackett
    August 23, 2016 / 2:54 pm

I love your blog and you look great in those stripes. I wish I had your sense of style. Keep up the great work!

• August 25, 2016 / 1:37 pm

Thank you so much Melissa! You have great style that compliments your personality, I am sure of it!

9. August 23, 2016 / 5:26 pm

I love your spirit..I love your rebellious spirit that makes you do whateve you alone think is right, not society.
    We need more of that.
    I think most of us have forgotten that were spiritual beings having a human experience, and we shouldn’t focus so much on body flaws/perfection a at the expense of the soul.
    I am a woman and I support you. I’m sure you have chosen a life style that suits who you really are at your core at this stage in life.
    I really like that purple lipstick you’re wearing and I would like to know the brand and color code plz😁
    Regards,

• August 25, 2016 / 1:36 pm

Noor, thank you for you kind words and you are so correct; the soul is more essential than anything else. I think that some of us are too concerned about that which isn’t vital.

The lippie that I am wearing is “Space Age” by Magnolia Makeup. You have to check them out, they are amazing!

10. August 24, 2016 / 5:37 am

I love your blog, you’re absolutely stunning and I adore your confidence. Keep it up <3

• August 25, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Thank you so much Sarah that mines a lot!

11. August 24, 2016 / 5:46 am

You. Look. Awesome 🙂

12. August 24, 2016 / 5:51 am

Thank you for being who you are. You are plain beautiful and inspiring.

• August 25, 2016 / 1:20 pm

Thanks Nadine, your support really means a lot.

13. August 25, 2016 / 6:26 am

I like this post. It’s really well constructed and short and sweet. Right to the point.

• August 25, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Thanks Dorothy, Keep reading and giving input.

14. August 25, 2016 / 8:06 am

Yes Boo, yes. I love this post. You hit all of the areas that needed to be addressed for us. We are big but we can dress our butts off too.

• August 25, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Thanks ShaKera! it is so important to like society know we are not here for their mess any more. If you want to see more of my style for some of your favorite brands let your voice be heard, they will listen.

15. Mindy Boettcher
    August 25, 2016 / 12:10 pm

I love it, breaking the rules of society! Thank you!

• August 25, 2016 / 1:10 pm

I am glad that you like it Mindy! Thanks for the support. If you want to see more of my style for some of your favorite brands let your voice be heard, they will listen.

16. Jess
    August 27, 2016 / 4:40 am

I love everything you stand for! Thank you for promoting beauty and self worth at a time where women are shamed for the way they look. I have nominated you for the liebster award 🙂

• September 7, 2016 / 2:50 pm